Featuring Stonewood Ground Turkey Breakfast Sausage
New Morning Market has been selling Stonewood’s premium, all-natural turkeys for over 30 years, and we have loved every minute of partnering with them to bring the juiciest, highest quality, humanely raised turkeys to our customers’ tables.
Thursdays were “breakfast for supper” nights during my childhood. At the time, I had no idea breakfast for supper was grandma’s way of stretching the family’s food dollars as far as possible, especially the day before pay-day. We were just excited little rebels, delighting in toasted bread heals with a bit of cinnamon sugar, homemade sausage patties, and scrambled eggs.
These days I find myself nostalgic for tradition and wanting to stretch my family’s food dollar a bit more – without sacrificing quality. I’ve decided to bring back “breakfast for supper” to my kitchen table, and to share my favorite homemade breakfast sausage recipe with all of you.
I hope you enjoy it! We’d love to hear about some of your favorite dinner traditions. Write us anytime at email@example.com
Julie Droege is the Communications Director at New Morning Market and a home cook with 20+ years in the natural foods world. Her favorite cooking buddy is her 11-year-old daughter, Lena, who always provides inspiration and brutally honest feedback for all of her dishes.
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp rubbed sage (rubbed sage is lighter and less concentrated than ground sage
½ tsp red chili flakes
1 small white onion (minced)
1 lb ground turkey meat
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Mix the dry seasoning together in a small bowl.
Add ground turkey to a medium mixing bowl and add minced onion and dry seasoning. Mix the ingredients together using a large wooden spoon or your hands
Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions, rolling each one into a ball and flattening with your hands.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to medium-high.
Add sausages to the skillet, about 2 inches apart (do this step in batches if needed). Cook on each side for about 3 minutes or until browned.
Once both sides are brown and the sausages are cooked thoroughly, remove the sausages from the skillet and drain off excess oil on a paper towel
The star of the meal is the homemade turkey breakfast sausage using fresh delicious ground turkey from New Morning Market’s meat department. For this recipe I used Stonewood turkey – my absolute favorite. But any high quality turkey meat will work.
You can substitute 1 tsp of onion powder for the fresh onion.
Chili flakes can be omitted or reduced (or increased) – depending on spice preference.
My favorite pairings with this dish are:
- Birch Benders Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix: Simply scoop the desired amount of mix into a bowl, add water, mix, and make! That’s right, JUST ADD WATER – no eggs or milk necessary! Don’t want to use it all at once? The resealable pouch keeps the mix fresh for next time. Easier, high quality, tastier – these pancakes have it all!
- Cadia Maple Syrup is robust, aromatic, and versatile. It’s fantastic on pancakes and waffles.
- Olivia’s Organics Baby Arugula offers a mild peppery kick that makes a great addition to the sweetness from the pancakes or waffles. Even better topped with a drizzle of olive oi, vinegar, and poached egg.
- Rishi Blueberry Hibiscus Tea refreshes with the tangy-tart character of hibiscus, the sweet succulence of Great Lakes blueberries and the complex floral accents of wild-harvested schisandra berries. It’s delicious anytime, and especially delicious with the sweet and savory combo of this dish, like a warm mocktail welcoming you to your supper table.
- Cadia Blood Orange Sparkling Italian Soda – Sweet hand-harvested organic blood oranges are what make this Italian Soda so delicious. And it’s a perfect evening substitute for your morning OJ.
- How to Poach an Egg: Prepare room temperature egg by bringing a medium or large saucepan filled with water to a gentle simmer. Add a dash of white vinegar to water and stir with a spoon to create a swirl. Carefully break the egg into water and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and repeat this process with as many eggs as needed.
New Morning Market’s pre-cut organic veggies + our ready to cook marinated chicken are a delicious and easy-to-cook/easy-to-clean-up supper solution. Prep Time: 5 minutes or lessCook Time: 25 minutes (or so)*Clean Up Time: 5 minutes or less *Cooking times may vary...
It’s easy to make homemade ice cream, even without an ice cream maker. With a few simple steps you can have delicious homemade ice cream made with wholesome ingredients. Raw Milk Ice CreamIngredients 2 ½ cups Raw Milk ½ cup heavy cream ⅓ cup of sugar 2...
Clean Comfort Cooking with New Morning Market Every wing lover has their favorite recipe. Classic Buffalo for the traditional crowd, honey BBQ for those with a sweet tooth, garlic parmesan for cheese lovers…the sky's the limit when it comes to flavor combos. We’ve...